After blogging here for about two and a half years, I thought I would share some thoughts about what I have learned from the experience.
- Blogging can be simple to do but be prepared to roll your sleeves up and get into things if you want it to be more and read more
- You can write a blog for free but, you only can do so much for free
- Security is a serious subject
- A back up system is important and necessary
- There is an incredible array of decisions that you will have to make and most of them will have important effects and consequences from appearance to security
- To attract attention, you must write with SEO (search engine optimization) in mind
- Readership is the key to blogging success as it provides marketing opportunities
- It helps to have a “plan” of what you want to get out of it
In my time blogging, I have downloaded and installed countless plugin updates, deleted hundreds of bogus email addresses (used to create login credentials to attempt to get into my server) and had to not only back up but also restore my server and databases numerous times. All of these take far more time than just writing the posts.
In closing, I would suggest that if you want to try blogging but are wary of the technical stuff, I would suggest that you set up a free WordPress account and you can get up and running in no time and be on your way. You can start to pick up knowledge as you begin writing.